Are you just starting out to cook your own meals? Or are you looking for a decent set of kitchen knives to replace old knives? Welcome to my Best Kitchen Knives website and blog where I have picked out the most highly rated and recommended kitchen knives for cooking. Whether you are a home cook or a professional chef, and whether you are looking for a whole set of kitchen knives or just one particular knife, I have all the top picks for you.
How to Choose the Best Kitchen Knives
Kitchen knives are such a common, everyday tool that it is not unusual to see a huge difference in quality and price. You can find cheap kitchen knives that are easy to replace on the one end, and meticulously crafted, well-honed blades with sky-high price on the other. My recommendation for you is to find a set of kitchen knives that is not only affordable, but also good in quality and practical for your cooking.
There are two ways to go about shopping for your best kitchen knives:
- Buy a set – Usually a kitchen knife set comes cheaper than individual knives and they often include a knife block to store your knives. Some blocks have extra slots for you to add more knives to it. Kitchen knife sets come in different sizes anything from 3-piece to 18-piece.
- Buy individual knives – You can get only the type of kitchen knives that you really need for your cooking instead of having a whole set with only a few knives that you use. This way you can also buy higher quality knives one by one to ease the strain on the budget.
For first time buyers, I recommend getting an affordable and basic kitchen knives set of 3 to 5-piece with extra slots in the block, and then add high quality individual knives to it as you advance in cooking.
Types of Kitchen Knives
There are many types of kitchen knives each designed for different functions, and it is important that you use the right knife for the job or you risk hurting either the knife, yourself, or both. The bare basic kitchen knife set includes a chef’s knife, a utility knife and a paring knife. They are the most used knives in the kitchen. Following these you will want to have a bread knife and a pair of kitchen shears. Other knives like boning knife, carving knife, filleting knife, cheese knife and so on are optional and depend on your cooking needs.
Size of Kitchen Knives
The standard size for a chef’s knife is 8-inch for the average person, but if you have a shorter profile you might want a 7-inch or 6-inch chef knife for easier use. Many top brands provide different sizes for their knives.
Kitchen Knives Reviews & Top Picks
I have quite an extensive list of kitchen knives here so you will be sure to find the right buy. Read my kitchen knife reviews before you decide!
- Best Kitchen Knives Set – High quality kitchen knives to last you forever.
- Best Kitchen Knives Set Under $100 - Great value kitchen knives for a small price.
- Best Chef’s Knife – The one knife you can’t do without.
- Best German Kitchen Knives – High quality steel forged blades that will last you a long time.
- Best Japanese Kitchen Knives – Sharp, sharp, sharp.
- Best Ceramic Kitchen Knives – Best kitchen knives to cut soft foods. Never need sharpening!
- Best Santoku Knife – Useful Japanese style knife for prepping ingredients.
- Best Carving Knife – For carving the Christmas turkey, meat shanks and much more.
- Best Paring Knife – Useful to have and nice to collect!
- Best Boning Knife – Removes those bones and skin.
- Best Bread Knife – A must-have if you eat bread that is not pre-sliced.
- Best Cheese Knife – Awe your guests with proper cheese cutting tools.
- Best Sushi Knife – Stunningly beautiful and makes you look like a professional.
- Best Steak Knife Sets – Great sharp steak knives for everyone.
Some Other Tools You Will Need:
Best Knives By Brands
If you want to quickly find your best kitchen knives by their brand names, here are some of my picks:
- Shun Classic Knives – Expensive but high quality, sharp kitchen knives
- Wusthof Classic Knives – Best rated kitchen knives recommended by Consumer Reports
- Global Knives – Recommended by top chefs
- Misono Knives – Some of the best kitchen knives
- Forschner Victorinox Knives – Good quality budget kitchen knives
- Chicago Cutlery Knives – Budget knife sets for starters
- Henckels Knives – One of the top names in German knives
- MAC Kitchen Knives – High quality and lightweight kitchen knives
- Kershaw Knives – Good sharp knives at a reasonable price
Best Rated Kitchen Knives Quick Guide
Here are some of the guides that I have compiled to help you decide which the best kitchen knives are. Feel free to browse through my blog for more.
- How kitchen knives are made: Forged vs Stamped
- How to Take Care of Your Kitchen Knives
- What Your Knife is Made From
- 7 Facts to Help You Find Your Best Kitchen Knives
- Other Guides
Start all the fun in the kitchen with the right kitchen knives and you will find yourself build up more passion for cooking over time. The best knife will help you do the job quickly, easily and safely. You will be cooking more from now and enjoy healthy home cooked food.
Check out my kitchen knives reviews by clicking here to see the latest kitchen knives best deals and information I have found!